Peruse scores through our vast loaning library.
Our extensive loaning library is a great (and free!) resource for composers, media, presenters, conductors, choreographers, performers, broadcasters, students and music lovers of all kinds – no matter where you are in the world.
Finding what you need
Search our collection of scores, recordings, and books using our convenient online tools. All scores have call numbers starting with M. MI is Music Instrumental and MV is Music Vocal. Commercial recordings start with CD while archival recordings are available through CentreStreams. Books use the Library of Congress classification scheme.
Please note that our scores, recordings, and books are for perusal purposes only.
Need assistance with our online tools? No problem – just e-mail email@example.com.
Loan requests: Canada
- Loans are made available for 2 months within North America or 3 months abroad.
- You may borrow up to 10 scores at one time for 2 months. You may renew a score twice, up to a total of 6 months.
- Our library scores are not for sale and are for perusal and study purposes only. However, if you’re performing a work or require the parts for performance please purchase a copy here. If you need to make marks inside a score, please purchase a new copy to prevent the deterioration of our loaning copies.
- Loans are free to anyone within Canada (we’ll even cover the postage to return our materials).
Loan requests: International
- Those living outside of Canada may borrow scores for three months with a chance to renew twice for a total of 9 months. To renew a loan, please call or email the CMC before the due date.
- While our loaning service is free, we require all international borrowers to call in their credit card information before their loan is processed. Replacement costs for the full amount of items borrowed will be charged if the items are not returned. For your security, credit card numbers can only be received by telephone.
- Outside of Canada, the borrower is responsible for the cost of postage. Due to high international mailing costs, purchasing copies is often just as economical as borrowing.
- Our library scores aren’t for sale. However, if you’re performing a work or wish to purchase a commercial copy, you can do so here. If you need to make marks inside a score, please purchase a new copy to prevent the deterioration of our loaning copies.
- If you’re from the United States: Please do not use a courier service to return music as it incurs extra costs at the Canadian border. We won’t pay for any charges to have music returned or for packages delivered with postage fees due. In these cases, the package will be returned to you.
Shipping of Music
All loans are sent out via surface post at no cost to you.
- Within Canada - approximately 1-2 weeks
- Abroad - approximately 2-3 weeks
- Please note - remote locations may require extra time for delivery.
Need it right away? We can arrange for courier delivery at your expense. Just call us with your VISA or MasterCard number in advance.
The CMC is not responsible for any losses incurred due to late arrival of scores on loan. If a loan request is for music festivals or conservatory tests, we recommend you submit your request three weeks in advance to allow for delivery via post.
Returning music and overdue policies
- Music should be returned by the due date or the last business day before the due date.
- Music is not regarded as returned until it has arrived at a CMC Centre.
- You’re responsible for the replacement costs of lost or damaged music. Music that has been marked with pencil or other writing is regarded as damaged.
- While you won’t be fined for overdue scores at this time, we do reserve the right to refuse further loans to anyone with overdue scores.
Ensuring the safe return of our materials is your responsibility – we have the right to charge replacement costs for lost or damaged scores.
Within Canada, return postage is free of charge. Be sure to use the postage-paid label included with package.
Renewing your loan
Loans are renewable at any time up to a maximum of three loan periods. If you need an extension, it must be made at least 5 business days before the original due date. Please contact any CMC Centre to extend a loan.
If another patron requests a score during your renewal period, we reserve the right to recall it. We also reserve the right to refuse an extension request made if the original loan is overdue.
Other important things you should know
- Recordings at the CMC are not circulated. You can listen to commercial recordings using CMC's listening room facilities, and archival recordings online through CentreStreams.
- Works with 10 or more instrumental parts are available on a rental basis only. However, the score for a rental work is available for loan from the library.
- Published works of CMC Associate Composers are available for circulation when a publisher makes copies available to the CMC.