We welcome new Associates twice a year
We invite you to join our 750+ strong body of active Canadian composers.
The CMC represents composers working in a variety of areas including concert music, music for instrumental and vocal ensembles, electroacoustic music, improvised music, educational music, music with other disciplines, and music that crosses a variety of genres and responds to different cultural influences.
Benefits for current members ($125 annual fee) include:
- Associate Composer showcase on the CMC’s bilingual website with your biography, submitted works, commercial and archival recordings, and a media section for images, videos, and writings.
- Printing and distribution of your music by the CMC, including perusal scores, sales and rentals.
- Opportunity to record your music on the CMC’s Centrediscs label.
In order to become an Associate Composer, kindly include documentation showing:
- Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status .
- Completion of basic training in composition and sufficient period of establishment as a practicing composer; normally this means holding a Master’s degree or equivalent in independent study.
- Completion of five or more original works that have been publicly presented by professional performers.
Download and complete the Associate Composer Application Form. Please send this to your regional office with the required support material and the $20 application fee.
We review applications twice a year on:
- March 1st
- September 1st
Applications are reviewed by the Regional Review Committee and recommendations are forwarded to the Head Office. The CMC Board of Directors approves the final slate of new Associate Composers at our June and December meetings.
Upon acceptance, you’ll receive an official welcome package from the CMC Head Office, including the Authorization Agreement, which permits the CMC to distribute music on your behalf.