CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
The Canadian Music Centre in BC is pleased to announce a new education program, the Jean Coulthard String Quartet Readings, in collaboration with the Borealis String Quartet and Kwantlen Polytechnic University's Faculty of Arts, and Composer-in-Residence Farshid Samandari.
Named in honour of one of British Columbia’s most beloved legacy composers and teachers, the Jean Coulthard String Quartet Readings will allow emerging composers to gain experience writing for string quartet along with the invaluable opportunity of having their pieces read, rehearsed and performed by a professional string quartet in sessions facilitated by the Composer-in-Residence.
The program’s unique format allows for composers to receive feedback from both the Borealis Quartet and the Composer-in-Residence, so they can revise and refine works over the course of the twelve-week seminar.
Thanks to the generosity of the Deux Mille Foundation which is sponsoring the program, all events are provided free of cost to the participants, and are open to the public free of charge. Final performances will be open to the general public for a nominal admission fee.
1. Applicants should be BC-based composers in the early stages of their professional careers; however, there is no age restriction.
2. Submitted works may be sketches, but must ultimately be scored for the full ensemble of two violins, viola, and cello. Works for partial instrumentation will not be considered. Works requiring electronics will be considered subject to feasibility – composers must provide full technical specifications to be eligible. Preference will be given to works five minutes and under in duration. Incomplete or partial works may be submitted. Works must not have been performed previously.
3. In the event that more applications are received than can be included, a panel of experienced composers and performers will evaluate the submissions. Decisions of the panel are final.
1. Following the introductory seminars, application packages should be submitted no later than 5:00 PM on Thursday, April 13th, either in person or by mail to the Canadian Music Centre, 837 Davie St., Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1B7.
2. Application packages should include the following: a readable first draft of score and parts (submitted anonymously), prepared according to specifications provided in the original score and part preparation seminar; a short biography (100 words maximum), including full contact information. The title of the submitted score should also appear on this document.
Please direct any questions to the Canadian Music Centre in BC: email@example.com
1. Score and part preparation seminar with CMC BC Head Librarian.
Friday, March 31, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Location: Canadian Music Centre (Vancouver)
2. Applications and first drafts of scores and parts due.
Thursday, April 13, by 5:00 PM. Location: CMC.
3. First reading with Borealis Quartet, facilitated by Composer-in-Residence.
Friday, April 28, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. Location: CMC.
4. Final versions of scores and parts due.
Friday, May 12, by 5:00 PM. Location: CMC.
5. Final performance of works.
Friday, June 9, 7:00 PM at CMC Adaskin Salon.